Monday, January 11, 2010

Books You Should Read.

Okay. So perhaps this is more limited in scope--I'm not on the cutting edge of books. There are just too many to catch up on and so I'm always readings books a few years (or decades) after. Either way, that datedness doesn't change the genius of the following books. Here are some of my favorites from the past year. I know your lists are already five feet long, but consider adding these to that list

In the order of which I read them throughout the year, beginning in January:

1. The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, Junot Diaz (a unique story for the nerd in all of us)
2. Celebration of Discipline, Richard Foster (this book takes time to digest, though it is a seemingly quick read)
3. Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy, Gary Schmidt (a book that I did my unit plan on during student teaching)
4. Revolutionary Road, Richard Yates (a little depressing, but the kind of depressing that gives you a kick in the pants)
5. One Hundred Years of Solitude, Gabriel Garcia Marquez (give it time and give yourself time to really sit down, understand, and delight in this book)
6. The Cost of Discipleship, Dietrich Bonehoeffer (cannot say enough--a beautiful, challenging book that I will reread throughout 2010)
7. Culture Making: Recovering our Creative Calling, Andy Crouch (hopeful and pragmatic)
8. Ragamuffin Gospel, Brennan Manning (relearn what grace is all about--we hard working folk sometimes forget, you know)
9. Perfect Girls, Starving Daughters, Courtney E. Martin (did a presentation on this in my gender class--very thought provoking)
10. Stealing Buddha's Dinner, Bich Minh Nguyen (it's located in Grand Rapids... what's not to love?)
11. The Yiddish Policeman's Union, Michael Chabon (gorgeous writing, quirky story, unexpected twists and turns--a fun mystery-type story)
12. The Road, Cormac MacCarthy (simple and haunting)

1 comment:

  1. i just copied and pasted this list into word so i can read them all. lovely.

    ReplyDelete