Monday, September 20, 2010

Exploring the Surroundings with Reckless Abandon

The thing about living in the 10th largest city in the nation is that traffic is insane (I mean this in a literal sense; people drive as if they are mentally deranged). You might expect me to gripe about this a little bit, but I'll save you that rant and instead focus on the positive: I love California U-Turns. Probably the most convenient system ever invented that should be adopted on roadways everywhere.

In other news, I think I may have found a church that I'd like to attend with more regularity. I'm so excited! Such an answer to prayer. It's called WestGate. I have been so welcomed there; I feel as though I'm already finding people creating space for me. I've also been challenged and encouraged by the teaching there. I value how this community is passionate about global issues and local issues in the city of San Jose in terms of social justice. A good way to think of it might be to say that it's like Mars Hill, but on a smaller scale--it's progressive and contemporary. Anyway, I'm really excited about that.

This week I made an intentional decision: I will explore California no matter how busy I am. Seriously. I have been working way too hard. The time has come to have some fun. So, in line with my intentionality to enjoy myself in my new surroundings, I got some tickets for a weekday night Giants vs. Dodgers game and just went with no regret that it was a school night. The game itself was incredible simply because the rivalry between San Fran and LA is so big; however, our particular game was a bit of a yawner. Not much action. But still an incredible stadium and incredible sport.

ATT Park -- oh, hey San Francisco Bay

In the same exploratory attitude, I made some plans with the two other new teachers to go to Santa Cruz this past weekend. Santa Cruz is a beach town about 30 minutes away. It's famous for its seaside amusement park complete with a wooden roller coaster, arcade, a carousel, and ferris wheel overlooking the Bay. It's a stereotypical California place (like the California you see in the movies). We went and took a long walk along the beach boardwalk. I spend some time along the cliff edge watching the surfers below (I've found a new goal: I will learn how to surf--eventually). We enjoyed ourselves! We all agreed it was really, really nice to get out and be social--a sudden novelty.


So, what's the next place on my California list? I'm thinking a traveling performance of Hamlet through Alcatraz sounds about right. Yes, it is exactly what you're thinking: the Shakespearian masterpiece performed live throughout the prison Alcatraz in the month of October. LOVE IT.

3 comments:

  1. oooo. i'm completely jealous of hamlet at alcatraz! enjoy it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for:
    1. pictures!
    2. putting baseball as a higher priority than schoolwork.


    miss you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. umm...there is a giant advertisement for "see this picture..." instead of a pic of the boardwalk. Glad you're exploring! I need to do the same!!! I'm stuck in my neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete