This past Saturday I completed my first triathlon. I hope it's my first of many! I had a blast. I drove up to Pleasanton, CA on Friday after school with a group of teachers from school. We went out to dinner at a phenomenal Italian place (great bread!) and stayed overnight in a hotel nearby the race. We woke the next morning to leave by 6a to get a parking spot amongst the 1000+ other women participating in the See Jane Run event. The three words to describe Pleasanton are hot, hilly, and dry. The hills made the running a little intense to handle at my normal mile pace. But I definitely finished and got a medal to prove it! Races are addicting. A few other teachers and I are looking at the marathon relay in April. The course runs along the California coast from Carmel to Big Sur--in other words, the most beautiful place to run EVER.

Other highlights: this past Sunday I went to the San Jose Museum of Art with a fellow teacher and her husband who are members there. Such a great exhibit there from Leo Villareal. Google him! Going to the art museum made me feel a little less bad that I'm missing ArtPrize in GR right now.
I went to WestGate Church on Sunday morning. I met some friends! I met another transplant to the area, a first-year Christian school teacher, and a couple who work in Higher Education as resident directors. Pretty sweet connections! I actually went out and was social with the teacher friend this past Tuesday. Hurray for friendship!
This Saturday is the big fundraising event, the Walk-a-Thon, at school. Kids raise money, play games, and walk to raise some money for the school. I have to run the 25 meter dash against the kiddies for an hour--joy ha. I also offered something for the teacher raffle for the kids--"Gourmet Cooking with Ms. Zwart." I have to say, it's a hot item. All the kids (especially the girls) want it. I'll admit, it's a little bit affirming that my students are at least considering spending time with a teacher of theirs outside of the classroom.
Highlights of a different sort: I really need a hair cut and color but don't want to pay $150 out here to get one. Predicament. Today in the lounge some teachers were recommending a salon where I could get a haircut for $75, but it's over 2 hours away. At these prices, it's almost worth it to buy the airfare home to get a hair cut there. Am I too Dutch right now? I just can't legitimize spending that much money on my hair. It's just hair after all. Maybe I'll cut it myself. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment