When we cross a frontier?
Each moment seems split in two,
Melancholy for what is left behind
And excitement of entering a new land.
The Motorcycle Diaries
It should be emphasized again that things almost never go the way that you expect them. You'd think after all of our experience with this phenomenon, we'd become calloused to the surprise and discomfort in which it displaces us. Yet, it seems that some lessons are just more difficult to get through our minds. Such is the case with the news of telling the SJCS community about my leaving after this year. Needless and unfortunate to say, it did not go as expected; some people like to take liberties with what they know and use it to their advantage and to my detriment. I guess you could say that this was "the final straw" (such an odd idiom, by the way), but I'll spare the details here because it's neither here nor there (Two idioms in one sentence? I'm on fire!--ha! three!). I am just trying to enjoy my final weeks teaching middle school with the kids. That's what it's all about anyway, right?
Last weekend was the school auction. This was the second time I got to attend this event. One year ago this weekend, I was in San Jose for the first time. An interesting anniversary--hard to believe it's been only a year since I've heard about this place! The auction was a huge success. We raised $20,000 more than last year, enough money to purchase an iPad lab for next year. This truly is a very generous community. It gives me goosebumps! I had a great time at the auction. Let's just say the wine was free-flowing. And when there's excellent California wine, it's disrespectful to turn down a glass when someone hands you one. Important to note: This girl (me) does not drink anymore (because I would be drinking alone and that's just depressing). Moreover, this girl is significantly lighter than when she used to drink. You can fill in the blanks. I almost purchased a time share in Cabo, something that I really cannot afford right now, but something that I really wanted at the time. Luckily, someone outbid me in the silent auction (breathe sigh of relief). But I can't regret too much because that was some of the best Cab I've ever had.
Yesterday was the Fine Arts Festival. I was so proud of all the kids, but especially my writers! They all got the highest rating or second to highest. SJCS stood out this year in the writing realm--that is, according to the coordinator of the festival. I was so so so happy about this. Yes, I'll admit. This was a huge notch on my belt to hear it. The kids were beaming when they saw their awards. I was also so pleased with how the speech and drama participants did, too. I challenged them with difficult poetry and material, but most of them nailed it. And those that didn't quite nail it, I consoled in the girl's bathroom. (After drying our tears, we were up and walking around again in about 30 minutes.)
Only a few weeks left!
(P.S. Shakespeare wasn't kidding. "Rough winds [really] do shake the darling buds of May" (I've taken my own liberties here). San Jose is so blustery during this month. I'm about ready to bust out my iridescent windbreaker from the '90s.)
No comments:
Post a Comment