Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Advent


Advent is the season of waiting.  It's a season bursting with anticipation for something great, and unknown to happen.  It's like everyone is on the edge of their seat, leaning forward, and preparing for something.
I hate waiting.  I hate being on the edge of my seat - it's just plain uncomfortable.
I have never really paid attention to Advent.  The most I've interacted with Advent was when I would watch from a pew as one family at my childhood church would come up on stage, read from a script, and light a candle.  Advent fit into that box and that was perfectly sufficient for me.  Up until now.
Currently, I am in a real life state of wait.  And, as previously established, hate it.  
As I sit in this current state of waiting during Advent season I have to wonder why it's important that we take time to celebrate Advent.  Why is it important for us to sit in a giant waiting room and light candles?  Is it because we need this time to prepare our hearts and lives for what is about to happen?  During my current waiting period I have learned how well I am loved by others, how to ask for help, how to give myself permission to be real with people and on and on.  Is it important that I learn these lessons now, so when I do finally get my answers I will be able to hear it and handle it?
I encourage all to take this time to prepare.  Prepare for what is next for you.  Take this moment to get ready.  Let the anticipation engulf you.  It's not always comfortable to sit on the edge of the seat, but maybe you aren't suppose to be comfortable because then you will be ready to get up from your seat.  
Much love to all this Advent season.  I pray it may give you space to prepare for the journey ahead and may that journey be one that brings peace, grace, healing, and joy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment